Uchi, the upscale sushi concept that’s made waves in Austin for years, is now crafting the same magic on Lower Westheimer.
In winter 2012, James Beard Award-winning Chef Tyson Cole’s signature restaurant opened in the former Felix’s Mexican eatery near the intersection of Montrose Boulevard. Inside, the space has been completely remade from the ground up. Intimate and sophisticated, the entire restaurant revolves around the open kitchen and sushi bar. Touches from the original Uchi, including the red blossom wallpaper, create a continuity for fans of the concept.
A couple must tries on the appetizer menu: the bacon tataki with pork belly, coriander and citrus as well as the jar jar duck with kumquat and endive. Of course, sushi is the main attraction and Uchi does it better than most. Mainstays like crunchy tuna and California rolls are complemented by outside-the-box offerings such as the pitchfork with wagyu beef, leek crisp and avocado and the adventurous ham & eggs with katsu pork belly and yolk custard. Try the chef’s ten-course daily tasting menu if you really want to live big.
Uchi is helping anchor a renaissance of restaurants and other shops along Lower Westheimer.
Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau - Member
- Named one of 50 hot restaurants for summer by Nation's Restaurant News (2013).
- Chef Tyson Cole named James Beard Award semifinalist for Best Chef: Southwest (2013).
- Included on GQ's list of the 12 Outstanding Restaurants of 2013.
- Included on Bon Appetit's list of the Top 50 Best New Restaurants in the U.S. (2012)
- Included on Bon Appetit's list of the Best New Sushi Restaurants in America (2012).
- Included on OpenTable.com's list of the Top 100 Restaurant Hot Spots (2012).
- Number of Rooms: 2
- Total SqFt.: 0
- Largest Room: 35
- Ceiling Size: 0
- Theatre Capacity: 0
- Banquet Capacity: 0
- Classroom Capacity: 1
- Reception Capacity: 0
- Sleeping Rooms: 0
- Suites: 0
- Villas: 0
- Exhibits: 0
- Booths: 0
- Catering Kitchen
- Facility Buy Out For Special Event
- On-Site Catering
- Preferred Valet Vendor(s)
- Private Room
Uchi offers a beautiful private dining space that can be used for holiday parties, special events, and business meetings.