The Houston Theatre District is a cultural and entertainment epicenter located in downtown Houston. The district features seven world renowned performing arts organizations, and close to 30 small-mid size companies, in four venues – Jones Hall, Wortham Theater Center, Alley Theatre and Hobby Center for the Performing Arts.
Houston is one of only five cities in the United States that boasts permanent, professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines. Houston’s Theater District spans approximately more than 20 blocks, and its theaters house nearly 21,000 seats. Boundaries start North of Franklin Street (encompassing PostHTX) to west on Bagby Street (enveloping Hobby Center/ Bayou Place/WTC), then South on Walker Street down and around to Main Street (which includes the Alley and Jones Hall for the Performing Arts) Includes four fantastic food halls: POST Market, Bravery Hall, Finn Hall, and Understory.
- The Houston Grand Opera is the only opera company in the U.S. to win a Grammy, a Tony, and an Emmy.
- In 2007, Da Camera of Houston was awarded the CMAcclaim Award from Chamber Music America, for significant contribution to the cultural life of its region.
- The Tony Award winning Alley Theatre, founded in 1947, is Texas’ oldest professional theatre company.
- HGO has received a Tony Award, two Grammy Awards, and two Emmy Awards—the only opera company in the world to have won all three honors.
- In 2017, the Houston Symphony earned its first Grammy nomination and Grammy Award at the 60th annual ceremony for the live recording of Alban Berg’s Wozzeck (waa-zuhk) under the direction of former Music Director Hans Graf in the Best Opera Recording category.
- Founded in 1969, Houston Ballet is America's fifth largest ballet company Houston Ballet serves as a cultural ambassador for the city of Houston on its many international tours.
- Today, Performing Arts Houston is the largest nonprofit presenting organization of its kind in the entire Southwest.
- Houston Theater Week: Houston Theater Week is a week-long celebration where you can purchase buy one get one free tickets to amazing performances!