Follow the trails and tails to the Grand Opening of Johnny Steele Dog Park at Buffalo Bayou Saturday, January 17 from 1 to 4 p.m. Located at Allen Parkway and Montrose Boulevard, the centrally located dog park boasts large and small dog ponds, washing stations, shade structures and seating areas.
The event will include plenty of fun activities to keep Fido happy including a Strut Your Mutt Doggie Fashion Show, a Dog Look-Alike Contest, raffle giveaways, doggie kissing booths and trainer tips by Peace Love & Dogs Houston. Several pop-up shops will also be on location selling the latest trends in doggie fashion, as well as nail trimming and pet grooming services.
For dog-owners, Good Dog Hot Dog will be serving up top-quality hot dogs alongside Katz Coffee and Saint Arnold Brewing Company.
Not a dog owner? That's OK! Drop by the Pup Squad and BARC and give a dog a loving home at their pop-up pet adoption area, or learn more on becoming a volunteer.
The park is just one of many updates currently in the works along Buffalo Bayou. The 160-acre Buffalo Bayou Park project stretches from Shepherd Drive to Sabine Street. Construction on the $58 million renovation is in its second year of projects including:
- New 10-foot wide trails (street and bayou side). New drinking fountains and benches will be located along the trails, and park users will have access to other amenities, including restrooms and a bike rental facility.
- Gardens and restoration of natural landscapes, including trees and native grasses.
- Improvements at Eleanor Tinsley Park including the addition of a pavilion and landscaping (expected completion in April 2014).
- Destinations like Lost Lake, the Water Works visitor center and a children's playground.
- Extension of the blue lunar lighting from Sabine to Shepherd Drive.
- Two pedestrian bridges at the Police Memorial and at Jackson Hill to provide greater accessibility (Now open).
Construction is expected to be complete in mid-2015. More here.