Miller Outdoor Theatre, the premier outdoor theater for performing arts, has unleashed a full schedule of summer events. But that's not the best news. It's free! That's right, check out the lineup and plan fun summer events that won't cost you a penny.
Miller Outdoor Theatre offers the most diverse professional entertainment of any Houston performance venue, including classical music, jazz, ethnic music and dance, ballet, Shakespeare, musical theater, classic films and much more. Relax in the covered seating area or enjoy a pre-performance picnic on the hillside.
Some events offer ticketed assigned seating in the covered area. Assigned seat tickets are available at the Miller Theatre Box Office on first-come first-serve basis between 10:30 am and 1:00 pm on the day of the performance with a limit of four tickets per person.
Miller Outdoor Theatre's BYOB policy allows guests to bring their own beverages and food to performances. Note that glass containers and bottles are prohibited.
There are a lot of events to choose from, but here are a handful of happenings for the month of June:
- "Swing, Jive, and Pop into Dance," performed by the MET Dance company, incorporates history, fashion, and music, on June 4 at 11 a.m.
- The classic 1987 movie Big is now a musical. Check out the Theatre Under The Stars' Humphreys School of Musical Theatre rendition of the story about a young boy who makes a wish at a carnival machine to be an adult on June 13 and June 14 at 8:15 p.m.
- Get down with the Accordion Kings and Queens as they celebrate their 25th anniversary on June 7 at 6 p.m. The show features performances by Mark Halata & Texavia and C.J. Chenier & the Red Hot Louisiana Band.
- Houston's Juneteenth Celebration highlights the rich African American musical traditions of Texas and the Gulf Coast. Performances featuring Allen Toussaint, Ruthie Foster, Curtis Poullard and the Creole Zydeco Band and more are set for June 19 at 7 p.m.
- The Houston Symphony performs their ongoing ExxonMobil summer concert series featuring vocalists Jonathan Beedle and AJ Swearingen on June 20-21 and June 27-28 at 8:30 each night.
Check out Miller Outdoor Theatre Events for more details about these happenings and other events.
For other FREE ideas throughout the summer, check out this itinerary. You can also check out Houston's CityPass or our coupons page for additional discounts.