Strawberry Pie - Rebecca Masson
"Houston has an amazingly diverse ethnic food culture. I love discovering all that this city has to offer. It always brings me inspiration."
What you will need
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled, thick sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 oz. butter, cold diced
Steps to follow
Pie Crust Prep
1. In a food processor or medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and shortening and cut the ingredients together until crumble.
2. Combine the vinegar and water; add to the mixture, mixing briefly. If necessary, add just enough cold water for the dough to come together.
3. Gather into a ball, flatten, wrap in plastic, and chill for a least 1 hour.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out fairly thick into a neat circle. Fit it, without stretching, into a buttered deep 9½-inch or 10-inch pie pan. Form a high fluted border. Chill the pie shell.
Pie Filling Prep
1. Put strawberries in a large bowl. Mix the sugar and cornstarch together in a small bowl, then add the mixture to the fruit and toss well.
2. Add the lemon juice and nutmeg and toss again. Set aside for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
4. Turn the filling into the pie shell and place in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes.
5. Remove pie from oven and put topping over the top. Drop the oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking pie for another 40-45 minutes or until the pie filling begins to bubble.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool 1 hour. Chill pie for another 3 hours in the fridge before eating.
1. Place all the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse 4 times.
2. Add the chilled butter and pulse until it clumps together, resembling a coarse meal.
3. Place in the fridge until ready to use.