- Dates: November 22, 2019 - January 5, 2020
- Recurrence: Recurring daily
- Location: Fish Plaza
- Address: 501 Texas Street
- Time: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Price: Free
- Admission: Free
- Area of Town: Downtown
Photo Credit: Frederique Menard Aubin
Created and designed by Collectif Blackbox
Produced by Quartier des Spectacles Partnership and Spectra (Illuminart).
Premiered at the Fête des Lumières of Lyon, France, 2017.
Riffing off of the concept of the “butterfly effect,” in which a small action produces a large impact, visitors encountering Chimes set into motion patterns of lights and sounds with one touch. Surrounding a large set of tubes that visitors can play, thirty-six lights and eight speakers come to life at the slightest swaying of the Chimes. Arriving just in time for the holidays, this family friendly, interactive display offers a one-of-a-kind winter wonderland activity on Fish Plaza.
- There are 36 light towers in the installation.
- Each light tower is approximately 8’ tall.
- 30 metal tubes make up the center interactive “wind chime.”
- There are endless combinations of lights and sounds to be played on Chimes.
- Nearly 2,500 feet of cable are used in the overall installation.
- Chimes is available from 8 am – 11 pm, but is best seen at sunset or after dark.
BIOGRAPHY OF COLLECTIF BLACKBOX
The Collective Blackbox is a group of six creators passionate about interactivity. The group is interested in arts, design and new technologies for exploring new media. Coming from different backgrounds such as video art, sound design, graphic design and computer programming, the collective is a complete team for creating generative and interactive works.