- Dates: February 27, 2021 - June 20, 2021
- Recurrence: Recurring daily
- Location: Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Address: 6200 Hermann Park Drive
- Price: Child 12 & Under - FREE | Youth 13-18 - $20.00 | Senior 65+ - $20.00 | Adult 19+ - $25.00
- Admission: Child 12 & Under - FREE | Youth 13-18 - $20.00 | Senior 65+ - $20.00 | Adult 19+ - $25.00
- Area of Town: Museum District
Two visionary artists, separated in time and space, are united by a shared fascination with nature. See the work of David Hockney and Vincent van Gogh side by side in Hockney – Van Gogh: The Joy of Nature.
This exhibition examines the common ground between British artist Hockney (born 1937) and Dutch artist Van Gogh (1853–1890). Both expressed their profound love of nature through brilliant color and the capacity to see the world with fresh eyes. The Joy of Nature reveals Van Gogh’s unmistakable influence on Hockney in a selection of carefully selected landscape paintings and drawings.
Through a bold use of color and experimentation with perspective, each artist crafts a painterly world that is utterly individual and true to themselves, yet offers immense universal appeal. The Joy of Nature brings together nearly 50 of Hockney’s vibrant works—ranging from intimate sketchbook studies to monumental paintings, as well as his experimental videos and iPad drawings—with 10, carefully chosen paintings and drawings by Van Gogh.
Hockney – Van Gogh: The Joy of Nature premiered at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, and the Houston presentation marks the first time the two renowned artists have been paired in an American museum exhibition.
*Image: David Hockney, Woldgate Vista, 27 July 2005, oil on canvas, David Hockney Inc. © David Hockney / photo: Richard Schmidt