January 24, 2019 January 26, 2019 January 31, 2019 February 2, 2019 February 7, 2019 February 9, 2019
615 Texas Ave | Houston, TX 77002
Times: 7:30 PM
The Great Society:
The tumultuous beginning of Lyndon Johnson’s presidency that Robert Schenkkan presented in his Tony Award-winning play All the Way—which the Alley produced last season in a co-production with Dallas Theater Center—continues in part two, The Great Society. In the years from 1965 to 1968, LBJ struggles to fight a “war on poverty” even as his war in Vietnam spins out of control. Besieged by political opponents, Johnson marshals all his political wiles to try to pass some of the most important social programs in U.S. history, while the country descends into chaos over the war and backlash against civil rights.
"...rich, complex and dramatic..." – Daily Courier
"...enthralling LBJ saga..." – Seattle Times
• Social Media: #GreatSocietyLBJ
• Recommended for mature audiences
• Playwright Robert Schenkkan is an Austin native and University of Texas graduate
• Schenkkan is the author of The Kentucky Cycle, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and has written and published fourteen other full length plays – including By The Waters of Babylon, Lewis and Clark Reach the Euphrates, The Marriage of Miss Hollywood and King Neptune, Handler, Heaven on Earth, Tachinoki and Final Passages.
• Robert is also co-screenwriter of the recent film Hacksaw Ridge, directed by Mel Gibson.
• Schenkkan’s current play Building the Wall is set in 2019 during the Trump administration and had its world premiere rollout at the Fountain Theatre in Los Angeles.
For those who enjoyed: All the Way
The information provided here is accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of submission. Please verify details via the link provided to ensure that they are correct.