Space Age Christmas Trees: The Exhibit
- Presented By: 1940 Air Terminal Museum
- Dates: November 29, 2019 - January 3, 2020
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Location: 1940 Air Terminal Museum
- Address: 8325 Travelair Street
- Phone: (713) 454-1940
- Time: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Price: The special exhibit is free with the purchase of a general admission ticket. Prices are $5 for adults and $2 for children.
- Admission: The special exhibit is free with the purchase of a general admission ticket. Prices are $5 for adults and $2 for children.
- Area of Town: Hobby Airport/Third Ward
2019 is the 60th Anniversary of the debut of the aluminum Christmas tree by the Aluminum Specialty Company of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The new tree was wildly successful in 1959 and ignited the aluminum Christmas tree craze of the 1960s, and they became known as “Space Age Aluminum Christmas Trees.” The exhibit will be located on the mezzanine level of the 1940 Air Terminal Museum. The display will open on the day after Thanksgiving, November 29, 2019 and run through Friday, January 3, 2020. The exhibit is based on The Evergleam Book and will include graphics along the north and south hallways of the mezzanine, a speaker with holiday music, and a display of 12 of the most highly sought after and rarest of the Space Age Christmas Trees. Last year, the collection was featured at the Wisconsin Historical Museum in Madison, which annually hosts an exhibit called Ever Gleaming. Bringing the collection home to Houston to share with the public is especially relevant this year as “Space City” celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the lunar landing and all things Space Age.