- Dates: June 11, 2021 - August 29, 2021
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Location: Lone Star Flight Museum
- Address: 11551 Aerospace Avenue
- Price: Welcome Aboard is included in your general admission and FREE for museum members.
- Admission: Welcome Aboard is included in your general admission and FREE for museum members.
- Area of Town: Hobby Airport/Third Ward
This Summer, the Lone Star Flight Museum will open a fun, original exhibit that highlights the colorful history of
commercial flight. Welcome Aboard features vintage aircraft, original pilot and flight attendant uniforms and
early industry inflight amenities.
Welcome Aboard will be on display June 11 through August 29, 2021.
Air travel is a way of life around the world. Early air travel was limited to the wealthy and was considered an
elite luxury. Today, it is uncommon to find someone that has not flown in a commercial, private, executive,
military or cargo plane. Aviation elevated all commerce, but early commercial aircraft not only transformed
leisure and business travel, it also added a touch of class and clout to those that were lucky enough to
A community collaboration with Mid-America Flight Museum in Mount Pleasant, Texas, the 1940s Air Terminal
Museum and United Airlines, Welcome Aboard showcases LSFM’s two commercial aircraft in the existing
collection, as well a rare Travelair 6000 on loan from Mid America Flight Museum. The aircraft stories illustrate
the process of how these incredible machines were transformed from aviation heroes of World War II into a
newly created industry that took civilian travel to the skies, in style.
As the industry grew and became more accessible and consumer-focused, flight attendants and in-flight
amenities became an important part of the flying experience. Displays and artifacts provided by the 1940’s Air
Terminal Museum will feature early pilot and flight attendant uniforms and a “sampling” of in-flight comforts and
conveniences, like aircraft china, playing cards and more. Displays and images from United Airlines
Foundation chronicles how commercial flight impacted airports, the maintenance industry, and the game-
changing customer service department.
Today, as people venture out once again into the friendly skies, WELCOME ABOARD is the perfect summer
exhibit for families, adults and all travelers. In addition to the exhibit, programs and hands-on experiences will
make this exhibit a fun and entertaining tour for all visitors. Additional plans include:
- Exclusive tours inside the Howard 250, DC-3 and the Travel Air 6000
- Video presentations of the evolution of the airline industry.
- Presentations about the engineering and science of creating commercial airliners.
- Hands-on crafts for kids – make your own pilot uniform, airplane making, etc.
- Programs highlighting the industry: flight simulators, marshalling class, docent tours.
- Exhibit space will include body forms with flight attendant/pilot uniforms in front of a vintage flight
attendant mural, a collage of vintage airline posters/ads and a display of ‘inflight’ artifacts.
This exhibit along with all the other Lone Star Flight Museum experiences is designed to support our mission to
celebrate flight and the achievements in Texas aviation and education and engage our youth through science,
technology, engineering and math. We believe aviation inspires achievement and endless possibilities.
WELCOME ABOARD is a fun and engaging multi-level exhibit that not only explores the colorful history of
commercial aviation, but once again, highlights how the aerospace industry has impacted everyday way of life
and how continued ingenuity will shape the future.