Women, Education, and the Classics in the Italian Renaissance
- Presented By: Italian Cultural & Community Center
- Dates: 4/1/2020
- Location: Italian Cultural Center - Milford House
- Address: 1101 Milford Street
- Phone: (713) 524-4222
- Time: 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
- Price: ICCC Members $10 | Non-Members $15Tickets available online and at the door.
- Admission: ICCC Members $10 | Non-Members $15Tickets available online and at the door.
- Area of Town: Museum District
Content of the lecture: During the Renaissance, the advent of the printing press promoted the spreading of books, the standardization of Italian and alphabetization. Moreover, after 1540 in Italy, translations and adaptations of classical texts were increasingly more available and reached a wider audience of readers intellectually curious but untrained in classical languages and not tied to canonical places of learning such as the university or the church. Women were among these new readers. Some of them became writers who displayed in their publications a re-elaboration of ideas obtained from the classics. By examining the life and works of different kinds of women, we realize that thanks to their learning and writing, they were able to empower themselves and promote the status and consideration of women during the Early Modern Age. Francesca D'Alessandro Behr: Francesca D’Alessandro Behr, a native of Italy, is a Professor of Italian and Classical Studies at the University of Houston in Texas where she routinely teaches courses on Italian and Latin literature and language. Her research is similarly oriented in both fields. Her book on Lucan, Feeling History: Lucan, Stoicism and the Aesthetics of Passion appeared in 2007 and a new book of hers titled Arms and the Woman: Classical Tradition and Women Writers in the Venetian Renaissance has come out in May 2018 through Ohio State University Press. Her interests cover Classical reception, ancient and Renaissance epic poetry, love poetry, gender studies, and translation studies. The ICCC is funded in part by the City of Houston through Houston Arts Alliance.