‘Tis the season for TXU Energy Presents Zoo Lights at the Houston Zoo. From Nov. 26 through Jan. 12, the Houston Zoo is transformed into a winter wonderland, and one of Houston’s most well-loved holiday traditions. Guests will sip hot chocolate as they stroll through the beautiful Houston Zoo grounds and take in the sights and sounds of the season. Earth-friendly LED lighting illuminate the ancient oak trees and decorate the paths to light the way.
Guests also have an opportunity to interact with Candy the Zoo Lights Zebra presented by H-E-B, get a selfie on the giant ice throne, and take a photo with Santa and Mrs. Claus. Additional experiences like decorating churros, and making s’mores are also available for purchase.
Zoo Lights is two times brighter! Stroll through a 100-foot-long, Infinity Tunnel of Light presented by KSBJ, experience the 4-D Enchanted Forest presented by King & Spalding, see a giant Ice Dragon come to life, and experience “snow” in Winter Wonderland presented by Houston Methodist. Also new this year, the zoo is offering upgrades that include unlimited rides on the Wildlife Carousel for just $4.95.
During the nightly event, the zoo animals settle down for their long winter’s nap, and the star attraction is the lights. To see the zoo’s animals, guests are encouraged to visit the Houston Zoo during regular daytime hours.
TXU Energy Presents Zoo Lights is a separately-ticketed event, held daily from 5:30 – 10:30 p.m. with the last entry at 9:30 p.m. The zoo closes for the day at 4:00 p.m. and re-opens as TXU Energy Presents Zoo Lights at 5:30 p.m. Tickets prices range from $12.75 - $29.95. For the best price, guests are encouraged to buy early. For more information, including nights of operation, or to purchase tickets, visit www.HoustonZoo.org/zoolights.
LED Lights Help Wildlife
- The Houston Zoo saves wildlife by only using energy-saving LED lights during TXU Energy Presents Zoo Lights. The LED lights are using 85% less power than incandescent lights, allowing the Houston Zoo to conserve lots of energy.
- Tons of holiday lights end up in landfills which spill over into animals’ natural homes. To help cut down on this waste, the Houston Zoo has recycled more than 12,826 pounds of holiday lights to date. Everyone can save wildlife by recycling broken or old holiday lights at the Houston Zoo throughout Zoo Lights. From Nov. 17 –Jan. 13 guests can bring in unwanted strings of holiday lights to help protect wildlife. Save money on electricity bills and save wildlife by using LED lights at home.
Member Preview Nights
Nov. 19 & 20
Zoo Members can enjoy two, member preview nights and see the lights before anyone else.
Brew Lights presented by TXU Energy
Adults 21 and up are invited to enjoy Zoo Lights without the kids! Stroll through the Zoo with Saint Arnold brew, glass of wine, or spiked hot chocolate during this 21+ event. Brew Lights tickets includes two drinks.
TXU Energy presents Zoo Lights: VIP Experience
See the animals at the Zoo during the day and get early access to Zoo Lights. VIP ticket holders receive daytime Zoo admission, a VIP reception at Cypress Circle Café, and exclusive access to Zoo Lights before the public. The VIP reception includes dinner, the opportunity to take a picture with Santa, and more!
Ugly Sweater Party
Jan. 9, 2020
Adults are invited to don their ugliest holiday sweater and show it off during this special 21+ event. Event tickets include one free drink.
Military, First Responders, and Educators are all eligible for a $3 discount off admission on the dates listed below. To apply the discount, guests will need to present their professional ID at the gate.
- Military Mondays – Dec. 2, 9, and 16
- First Responder Tuesdays – Dec. 3, 10, and 17
- Educator Thursdays – Dec. 5, 12, and 19
*Photo credit Stephanie Adams/Houston Zoo