November 29, 2002 was a defining moment for the history of Islam in Houston. It was on that day that the first prayer was held in the Islamic Da’wah Center. The building, which was originally the Houston National Bank in 1928, houses the first mosque in downtown Houston, and the first center in Houston committed for Da’wah. The main prayer hall is on the first floor of the three-story facility, and a new library is on the third. Meeting rooms, offices, a gathering area and class rooms are in the basement to accommodate all guests.
The mission of the Da’wah center is to promote Islamic principles, history and culture. They do this through a magnificent array of Islamic art, publications and programs, with an open invitation for all to come and learn. Free tours are offered to guests of any age and any religious background to learn about the Islamic culture and the role of the Masjid in the life of Muslims.
The Da’wah Center welcomes guests with an Islamic art collection exhibited on the mezzanine including art from a variety of lands from Malaysia, Indonesia, India, the Middle East, North Africa, Sicily, Spain and more. These pieces of art, many of which are donated, include ceramics, gold, metalwork, textiles, glass, weaponry, wood, manuscripts, paintings, calligraphy, 3D models of Islamic landscapes, pictures, and other images.