One Monument Circle
La Porte, TX 77571
The San Jacinto Museum, within the base of the San Jacinto Monument, holds one of the largest collections of Texas art, artifacts and history. Step back in time and see where Texas won its independence.
San Jacinto Museum
The museum was established in 1938 to honor those who fought in the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836, and to re-visualize the history of Texas and the Spanish Southwest.
The Museum has a permanent exhibit displaying artifacts from throughout Texas’s history and a regularly rotating special exhibit and lobby exhibit. The Museum offers regular hands-on, family friendly activities and tours of the battleground. See the website for the upcoming schedule.
San Jacinto Monument
The 567-foot-tall San Jacinto Monument is the world’s tallest war memorial, standing 13 feet taller than the Washington Monument. It honors all those who fought for Texas’s independence.
The Monument was built as a New Deal Project between 1936 and 1939 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of San Jacinto and Texas’s independence. Despite the scale, danger and novelty of the project, not a single life was lost during its construction.
Take a 500-foot elevator ride to the observation deck at the top of the San Jacinto Monument and view Houston from above.
Jesse H. Jones Theatre
View Texas Forever! The Battle of San Jacinto, a 35-minute video that brings you from the earliest Spanish colonies to the day the West was won, in the 160-seat Jesse H. Jones Theatre for Texas Studies.
San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site
The San Jacinto Monument sits in the middle of the San Jacinto Battleground, the 1,300-acre state historic site that preserves the ground where Texas won its independence in 1836. Visitors can walk in the footsteps of the men who fought here nearly 200 years ago, as well as fish, hike and picnic. The San Jacinto Battleground is open from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. seven days a week except for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
Museums and Attractions
- Hours: 9am-6pm, Wednesday - Sunday Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day
- Admission: Adults: $10 Children (11 and younger): $5
- Child Rates:
- Gift Shop:
- Free Parking Available:
- ADA Accessible:
- Requirement for Chaperone/Student Ratio: 1 chaperone for every 10 students
- Motorcoach Parking:
- Advance Notice Required for Groups:
- Acreage: 1300
- Hike/Bike Trails:
- Walking Trail:
- Nature Trail:
- Historical Marker/Museum:
- Scheduled Events:
- ADA Accessible:
- Are you interested in the student group travel m:
- Is your facility ADA compliance?:
- Do you require advance notice for student groups:
- Do you offer student group discounts?:
- Do you offer complimentary bus or motorcoach par:
- Does your facility meet ADA requirements?:
- Floorplan File Floorplan File
- Theatre Capacity 180
- Audio/Visual true
- Facility Buy Out For Special Event true
- Banquet Capacity 185
- Number of Rooms 3