Houston First Corporation is pleased to announce the Theater District parking garages will reopen to the public on Thanksgiving Day for parking from 6 a.m. until noon. Those planning to attend the H-E-B Thanksgiving Day Parade or “A Christmas Carol,” which opens at the Alley Theatre on November 24, will have the option to conveniently park on any level in all three underground garages.
“Houston’s Thanksgiving Day parade and ‘A Christmas Carol’ are both holiday traditions, so we are thrilled to open the Theater District parking garages in time for everyone to enjoy these legendary events,” said Dawn Ullrich, president and CEO of Houston First Corporation. “We know that parking can be critical to the success of big events, and we don’t want anyone to hesitate coming to this year’s parade or any of the performing arts events because they think parking may be an obstacle.”
The underground parking garages have been closed since flood waters from Hurricane Harvey filled all three levels with more than 270 million gallons of water. Although the garages are operational, additional work remains before they are fully restored. The elevators in the garages remain inoperable. Trams will be available to shuttle those customers who need assistance. Customers should notify a garage attendant upon arrival, if they need this service.
“Houston First has worked tirelessly to get our downtown garages up and running as soon as possible. We are proud of the on-going efforts of our contractors in completing this enormous undertaking,” said David Mincberg, chairman of Houston First Board of Directors. “Houston First also appreciates the patience of City of Houston employees who were also impacted by the loss of the garages. And, we especially appreciate the patience and cooperation of the performing arts groups as Houston continues recovering from Hurricane Harvey.”
What You Need To Know:
- Parking on Thanksgiving Day, November 23 6 a.m. - Noon.
- Parking November 24 – 26 Noon - 11 p.m.
- Parking November 27 – 28 6 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Parking November 29 – 30 6 a.m. – 11 p.m.
- Cost of parking is $12; hourly parking is not available until further notice.
- Garage elevators are not operable; customers with special needs should notify parking attendant to utilize garage tram service.
- No overnight parking allowed without prior permission from garage management.
- Garage tunnels to 611 Walker, Alley Theatre, Wortham Theater Center and Bank of America remain closed until further notice.
- Current contract parking customers will be notified when they can return to the Theater District garages.
The Theater District underground parking garage includes three garages (green, yellow and blue), which span 18 underground blocks and consists of 3,369 parking spaces.