COFFEE ROASTED TENDERLOIN OF BEEF WITH SMOKED CHILE ADOBO - Robert Del Grande
What you will need
- 2 lb beef tenderloin: tied with butcher twine
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp finely ground coffee
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
Smoked Chile Adobo
- 1 oz Guajillo chile: stems & seeds removed
- 2 each Chipotle Chile (canned)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp finely ground coffee
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- Flat Leaf Parsley sprigs
- Salt & Pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
Steps to follow
1. Rub the tenderloin liberally with the olive oil. Combine the ground coffee, salt & pepper and mix well. Sprinkle the coffee mixture over the tenderloin and roll to evenly coat.
2. Pre-heat an oven to 400F. Place the tenderloin on a roasting rack over an ovenproof pan. Roast the tenderloin for 5 minutes at 400F then lower the heat to 275F and continue to roast for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the tenderloin reaches 120F.
3. Remove the tenderloin from the oven and allow to rest 10 to 15 minutes before carving to allow the juices to settle.
Smoked Chile Adobo
1. In a dry skillet over medium heat, lightly toast the chiles until aromatic. Transfer the toasted chiles to a bowl and cover with warm water. Soak for 30 minutes to soften.
2. On a cutting board, place the soaked chiles skin side down. With a knife, gently scrape off the meat from the chiles. Discard the skin. Finely mince & mash the chile meat on the cutting board to form a rough paste.
3. Similarly, finely mince & mash the Chipotle chiles on the cutting board to form a paste.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine the Guajillo paste & the chipotle paste. Add the remaining ingredients for the adobo and blend well.
1. Remove the string from the tenderloin. Carve the tenderloin into 4 thick slices. Spoon some of the adobo over each slice of tenderloin.
2. Garnish with parsley sprigs. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.