BYCATCH AND LOCAL FISH CEVICHE - Chris Shepherd
Chris Shepherd- Owner/Executive Chef at Underbelly Hospitality
"There are actually very few people living in Houston that are originally from here, so we have access to so many cultures-things to see and things to taste. People need to take advantage of that."
What you will need
- 2 lbs. of local bycatch fillets (triggerfish, Vermillion, and the other snapper boat fish)
- 1 lb. of local gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup of lime juice
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Steps to follow
1. In a medium pot over medium-high heat, add 1 quart of water and 2 tablespoons of salt and bring to a simmer. Poach the shrimp until just pink. Strain and chill.
2. Dice the fish into 1/4 inch squares and place in a bowl. Add the juices and let marinate or cook for 45-60 min. Drain the fish slightly. Add the remaining ingredients and let marinate for 45 minutes.
3. Season and serve.