National Pie Day, celebrated annually on July 12th, is a Southern tradition The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa takes seriously! Head to one of two restaurants on property to find pecan pie served with Texas-love. At both Olivette and The Manor House, Pastry Chef Catherine Rodriguez dishes up pie with homemade buttery flaky crust, real maple syrup, bourbon, and Texas pecans with a side of house-made bourbon ice cream, pecan streusel, and creamy caramel sauce. The best part? Rodriguez shared her recipe with Visit Houston for all to enjoy.
- 12 oz all-purpose flour
- 8 oz cold butter
- 5 oz ice water
- ¾ tsp salt
- Cut butter into flour and salt with paddle attachment.
- As soon as butter is cut into small pieces, the size of small peas, add water.
- Mix dough until it comes together. Do not over mix.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1½ hours.
- Roll dough out to 1/8” thickness.
- Form dough into 9” pie pan.
- Chill shell for 1 hour.
- Line pie shell with parchment and use pie weights to weight the shell down.
- Bake at 350° until golden brown.
Pecan Pie Filling:
- 5 oz granulated sugar
- 4 oz light brown sugar
- 6 oz maple syrup
- 6 oz corn syrup
- 1 oz bourbon
- 3 oz butter
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 4 cups pecan halves
- Heat up sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, butter and salt stirring occasionally.
- After butter has melted, boil for 1 minute.
- Let mixture cool.
- Add vanilla and temper eggs with mixture.
- Place 4 cups of pecan halves at the bottom of tart shell.
- Fill pie filling to top of shell.
- Bake at 325˚F until pie is set and slightly souffled.