VEGETABLE QUINOA SALAD - Monica Pope
Chef Monica Pope- Chef/Owner at Sparrow Bar + Cookshop
"We always say that it's the people that make Houston what it is. Small restaurant owners are the people that make Houston."
What you will need
- 1/2 lb. cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon dill
- 2 tablespoon parsley, flat-leaf
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese
- 1/4 large lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 lb. broccoli
Steps to follow
1. First, make the quinoa salad. Cut the stem from the broccoli. Peel the stems and chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Cut the florets from the head, about 1/2 inch florets. Reserve.
2. Fill a large saucepot with water. Add 1/2 tablespoon salt. Add quinoa and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add the broccoli and cook another 3-5 minutes until water is gone and broccoli is cooked. Drain the quinoa and place in a bowl.
4. Juice the lemon. Whisk together with olive oil, salt & pepper. Pour over the quinoa and broccoli mixture. Stir well.
5. Then prepare the vegetables: cut the cherry tomatoes in half, trim and mince the scallions, peel & dice the red onion and dice the bell pepper. Chop the herbs, and cut the cucumber in half and seed and chop. Add this mixture to the quinoa and top with the feta.