by John Egan
Vowing to find a spectacular outdoor venue in Houston for your wedding or reception? Selecting the right setting can be just as hard as choosing the right gown.
Here, we're doing some of the legwork for you by unveiling six options for outdoor weddings and receptions in Houston.
Discovery Green, a 12-acre park in the heart of downtown Houston, offers a bouquet of possibilities for weddings and receptions.
- Situated on the northeast side of the park, Lindsey Waterside Landing borders Kinder Lake. The location affords tranquil views of the water and amazing views of the downtown skyline. The landing is next to the modern-art piece Monument Au Fantome.
- The Jones Lawn, the largest green space at Discovery Green, provides panoramic views of the park and unobstructed views of the downtown skyline.
- Located on the south side of Discovery Green, the Grace Event Lawn is adjacent to the Wortham Foundation Gardens, The Grove restaurant and Maconda's Grove. Trees and gardens surround this space, covering roughly one-fourth of an acre.
- Fifteen large pine trees shade Maconda's Grove, which measures about one-fourth of an acre. The trees create a private, intimate feeling for a wedding or reception.
Want a wild wedding or reception? Check out the venues at the Houston Zoo. Among the choices are the Reflection Pool, which accommodates up to 2,500 guests; Masihara Pavilion, up to 1,200 guests; the Karamu Outpost, up to 1,000 guests; and the sea lions' pool, up to 60 guests.
Houston Arboretum & Nature Center
This 155-acre urban oasis features several venues for nuptials and noshes.
Ravine Overlook Deck
Winding trails lead up to this venue, which is framed by tall pines and oaks. The venue accommodates up to 50 guests.
This deck overlooks a 1-acre pond and a native meadow. The venue accommodates up to 100 guests.
This nature pond is teeming with wildlife and surrounded by trees. The venue accommodates up to 150 guests.
The lawn, with magnolias nearby, accommodates up to 200 guests.
At Hermann Park, two spots - both part of the McGovern Centennial Gardens - can serve as stunning wedding or reception venues:
- The Cherie Flores Garden Pavilion provides an incredible view of a 30-foot garden mount across the sweeping Centennial Green. The pavilion has room for 200 guests at a seated reception or 150 guests for a buffet reception.
- Tall hedges surround the Celebration Garden, lending a private feel to a wedding or reception. The lawn can accommodate as many as 240 guests.
Asia Society Texas Center
This cultural gem in Houston hosts weddings and receptions at two outdoor venues:
- The Chao Foundation Green Garden, with banquet space for 80 guests and reception space for 120 guests.
- The Sterling-Turner Festival Lawn, with banquet space for 300 guests and reception space for 400 guests.
The Forum at River Oaks Garden Club
The Forum of Civics building, which opened in 1910, appears on the National Register of Historic Places. The property's elegance and charm extend to The Forum, a gorgeous garden setting that can accommodate up to 175 guests.
Planning your Houston dream wedding? Find your perfect venue at IDoHou.com