Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month
In a city as diverse as Houston, we enjoy the ability to explore a variety of cultures from basically our backyard. Houston's Asian community has been a huge influence in how the city has developed into what it is today - a cultural mecca. Large portions of our residents have Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian and Middle Eastern roots and this has truly shaped how we live, eat, and enjoy our city.
This May, celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month with us by learning something new, trying a new dish or, virtually visiting cultural hubs to see the sights. Also, take a few moments to learn more about these three Asian American artists in the heart of our city.
The Asia Society Calendar of Events
The Asia Society has oodles of events going on to celebrate. Check out their 31 Ways to Celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month calendar featuring daily ways to learn about, celebrate, and uplift our AAPI communities.
Activities include FREE exhibition access all month long, live programs, curated selections of FREE on-demand family activities, staff recommendations, and more. A few highlights:
- All month long: Enjoy free admission to our exhibitions on view including Summoning Memories: Art Beyond Chinese Traditions.
- May 11: live performance by pianist Eunbi Kim.
- May 13: BIPOC Book Fest's showcase of literary works, panels, and workshops celebrating Black, Indigenous, people of color, and other creatives!
- May 18: Bank of America Women's Leadership Series featuring Melanie Lawson, Pooja Lodhia, and Rekha Muddaraj.
- May 19: Free Symposium on Summoning Memories exhibition with a gallery tour, panel discussions, and a keynote presentation by guest curator, Dr. Susan L. Beningson.
Houston is home to more diverse cultures than many major cities, so make sure to allow a few days to explore some of the areas religious sites. Here is just a sample of the many sites in Houston. Read more...
If you're like us, you know the best way to learn about someone's culture is by trying their food. One of the best things about visiting Houston is experiencing the diverse cultures that make up the city’s population of 2.3 million people. Similar to other major U.S. cities, Houston has an area dominated by delicious Asian restaurants, exotic shopping and fun cultural experiences. Eat more...
Are you a spicy Thai pepper or a balanced Korean BBQ? Find out in our newest, coolest quiz yet. Find your Asian cuisine personality now!