Tucked away on Shepherd Drive is the converted residence that is home to Backstreet Café. Ever-changing New American choices prepared by Chef Hugo Ortega include salads like goat cheese with pears, toasted walnuts and warm bacon dressing, or entree-size salads like lentils and feta in garlic vinaigrette. The meat loaf tower, a lunch and dinner favorite, comes with garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed spinach and mushroom gravy. Finish with warm apple tart topped with house-made vanilla-bean ice cream.
Backstreet's popular jazz brunch featuring the Bob Chadwick Trio is served on Sundays from 11am until 3pm.
For prime people-watching, request an umbrella-covered table on the front terrace. Or for a touch of romance, sit by the cozy fireplace.
- Chef Hugo Ortega and Backstreet Café included in Zagat feature on 16 Chefs Redefining Texas Cuisine (2016).
- Backstreet received Best of Award of Excellence by Wine Spectator (2017)
- Named one of 50 hot restaurants for summer by Nation's Restaurant News (2013).
- Chef Hugo Ortega named James Beard Award Semifinalist for Best Chef: Southwest (2012).
- Sean Beck named Rising Star Sommelier by StarChefs.com (2011).
Greater Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau - Member