Houston, TX 77056
The newest relative of Chef Hugo Ortega and Tracy Vaught’s culinary family has arrived. Caracol, located in the heart of the Galleria area, is a south of the border seafood kitchen that will take your taste buds on a flavorful tour along Mexico's 16 coastal states. The focal point of the main dining room is the oyster bar, where fresh Gulf and appellation oysters are served up raw or wood-roasted with chipotle butter and a spritz of charred lime.
Reel in tasty dishes like scallop ceviche with mango and papaya, Spanish octopus salad, or the catch of the day with tomatillo-caper sauce and crispy shallot. There are plenty of non-seafood and vegetarian options as well. At the bar, Sean Beck can be found pouring perfectly paired wines and specialty cocktails.
But don’t stop there. Dessert is too tempting with items like rhubarb and strawberry empanada or a chocolate sphere, cracked open with a wooden mallet to reveal a fluffy coconut mousse.
Both the name, Caracol, and the décor are inspired by the couple’s beach home. Lined with beachy, woven chairs and pewtery-gray wooden tables, the dining rooms provide an airy, sophisticated feel.
Caracol is open for lunch and dinner 7 days a week, with daily happy hour from 5-7 pm. There are four private dining rooms available for larger parties.
- Named James Beard Winner for Best Chef: Southwest (2017)
- Caracol received Best of Award of Excellence by Wine Spectator (2017)
- Hugo Ortega finalist for Best Chef: Southwest (2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 & 2012) James Beard Awards
- Caracol named among “Houston’s Best International Restaurants" by Southern Living (2016).
- Caracol featured in “Food Cities: Searching for America’s Greatest Food Cities,” by The Washington Post (2016).
- Named among “Houston’s Top Four Latin American Restaurants” by Forbes Travel Guide (2014).