Root Memorial Square Park, located across La Branch Street from Toyota Center, was donated to the City of Houston in 1923 by descendants of Alexander Porter Root and his wife, Laura Shepherd Root, for the purpose of perpetuating their memory.
Occupying a square block, the park is virtually a stone's throw from the Hilton Americas-Houston hotel and the George R. Brown Convention Center.
A redesign by the city Convention & Entertainment Facilities Department renovated the property to include new sidewalks, civic art, new irrigation, a basketball court, a shade pavilion, a fountain and improved lighting. Work was completed in 2005.
The Clutch City Foundation (affiliated with the Houston Rockets) offered to participate in the refurbishment of Root Memorial Square and held two "Tux and Tennies" fundraisers to pay for the basketball court. The Houston City Council named the new basketball court for former Mayor Bob Lanier in 2004.
Back to previous page