Twelve acres of Stephen F. Austin Park are set aside in honor of the area's past. Located on the Brazos River, adjoining the old ferry site and a part of the Commercio Plaza de San Felipe, this is the site of the township of San Felipe, the seat of government of the Anglo-American colonies in Texas. It was here Stephen F. Austin, the "Father of Texas," brought the first 297 families to colonize Texas under a contract with the Mexican government. From 1824 to 1836, San Felipe de Austin was the social, economic, and political center, as well as the capital of the American colonies in Texas. Due to the many historic events that occurred here, the community acquired the reputation "Cradle of the Texas Liberty."
Also, the conventions of 1832 and 1833 and the Consultation of 1835 were held here. These meetings eventually led to the Texas Declaration of Independence. San Felipe was the home of Austin and other famous early Texans; the home of Texas' first Anglo newspaper (The Texas Gazette, founded in 1829); the home of the postal system of Texas origination; and the setting for the beginning of the Texas Rangers.
The park is divided into two sections, a small historic section and the larger recreational area. The small historical section of the park is located on FM 1458, one hundred yards or so past the recreational park entrance. There are several monuments, more than one historic grave, and a bronze Stephen F. Austin statue by John Angel (1935). There is a replica of Stephen F. Austin's original cabin and a general store replicating a similar one that served San Felipe; it was originally built in 1847. Guided tours are available, and the small state ran historic general store is open on weekends.
This forested park is bordered to the north and east by the Brazos River. It provides a natural habitat for deer, squirrels, raccoons, foxes, and opossums. A variety of birds is present year-round. The undeveloped areas of the park permit hiking and river fishing.
* 18-hole golf course
* Nature and historical tours