From ball games to horseracing, Houston's the place for action. If there's one thing Houstonians love, it's competition-especially when it's on the field. And that makes H-Town a sports-lovers' mecca. Whether you're looking for the big game or want to be in the middle of the action, you can find it all in the Bayou City.
Check out these exclusive deals and explore Houston's unique experiences.
In terms of professional sports, few cities in the country have as much to offer as Houston. Whatever time of year, there's sure to be a team playing! The MLB Houston Astros light up the skyline at Minute Maid Park with action-packed baseball. For soccer fans, you can catch the Houston Dynamo or Houston Dash on the pitch in BBVA Compass Stadium. When things cool off the NBA Rockets heat up the court at Toyota Center. Of course this being football country the NFL Texans are a hometown favorite (especially for tailgaters!). Rugby fans in Houston will be chuffed to visit only the second Rugby stadium in the United States known as AVEVA Stadium. Finally of course there's live thoroughbred and American Quarter Horse racing at Sam Houston Race Park.
The 2017 World Series Champion, Houston Astros have called our city 'home' since 1962. The 'Stros, as locals lovingly call their...
The Houston Dynamo is an American professional soccer club which competes in Major League Soccer, the top professional soccer league in...
The Houston Dash, a women’s professional soccer team, entered the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) as an expansion...
Winners of back-to-back NBA championships in 1994 and 1995, the Rockets continue to be top competitors in the Western Conference of the...
The Houston Texans, the NFL's 32nd franchise, played their first game in NRG Stadium on Sept. 8, 2002. The Texans become the first NFL...
In Central Southwest Houston, AVEVA Stadium is home to the Houston SaberCats Rugby team and is the first of its kind in Houston and the...
Sam Houston Race Park offers the spirit and elegance of thoroughbred and quarter horses with live and simulcast racing, offered 364...
You don’t have to break the bank to drive some of the world’s most exotic cars. Head to MSR Houston for a driving experience unlike anything else. Current 2-time Defending Champion of IMSA’s premier class Tudor United SportsCar Series, Christian Fittipaldi, and his team offer thrilling rides around the MSR Houston race track in the hands of a professional driver. The track is designed with 17 speedy turns and 2.38 miles of FIA approved roadway.
Choose from a variety of cars including a Ferrari 430 Scuderia, Nissan FT-R, Porsche 911 Carerra S, Lamborghini Gallardo LP 550-2 Valentino Balboni or a Lamborghini Superleggera LP570-4.
Behind the Scenes
Houston has long been known as a great sports city with great sports venues--ever since the day it unveiled the "eighth wonder of the world," the Astrodome. Today you can explore the behind the scenes workings of the city's great sports complexes.
Start at Minute Maid Park, home of the Houston Astros. Located in Downtown Houston at Union Station, Minute Maid Park was built to reflect Houston's historical relationship with the railroads and features a vintage, full-sized locomotive that runs along 800 feet of track on the left-field wall. Minute Maid Park beautifully incorporates modern conveniences like a retractable roof, yet exudes a truly classic atmosphere complete with red brick masonry and natural grass.
Tours give guests a behind-the-scenes look at Minute Maid Park. Fans may visit such places as Historic Union Station, broadcasting booth or press boxes, Astros' or visitors' dugout, luxury suites and more.
Public Tours are offered year-round Monday-Saturday at 10 a.m., Noon and 2 p.m. Schedule subject to change, please call the TourLine at (713) 259-TOUR prior to coming to the ballpark to confirm that tours will be offered.
Since opening in 2002, NRG Stadium has hosted a Super Bowl, the largest rodeo in the world, five of the largest soccer crowds in the history of Texas, the NCAA Final Four and many other world-class sports and entertainment events.
Tour highlights include:
- Fieldside view of NFL's first retractable roof
- Fieldside view of NFL's first removable natural grass field
- NFL visiting team locker room
- Houston Texans Weight Room
- Stadium Press Box
- Premium seating areas - Club Level and a party suite
Tours are offered Monday-Thursday 10:15 a.m., Noon, 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Care to see how you measure up next to Yao Ming? Ever wondered how the arena makes hockey ice? Want to see where your favorite artist prepares before a performance? The one hour Backstage Tour of Toyota Center will take you behind the scenes of Houston's premier destination for sports and entertainment.
Tour highlights include:
- Arena floor
- Red and White Wine Bistro
- Lexus Lounge
- Courtside suite
- Rockets Club
Tours are offered Monday-Friday, 10 am-3 pm.
Minute Maid Park Tours give guests a behind-the-scenes look at the home of the Houston Astros. Located in Downtown Houston at Union...
Tour NRG Stadium, home of the Houston Texans. A pioneer in the sports world, NRG Stadium was the NFL's first retractable-roof stadium....
Toyota Center Tours give visitors a behind-the-scenes look at the home of the Houston Rockets. This exclusive one hour tour takes you...
For those among us who would rather be part of the action than simply watching it, here are a few places to get active in H-Town.
- Whether you're a paintball pro or a complete novice, it's survival of the fittest at Urban Warzone.
- Didn't think you could wakeboard in Houston? Think again. Wake Nation provides a thrilling experience just a few minutes south of Downtown.
- Offshore fishing is an experience like no other. And Galveston Fishing Guides know just where to take you for half-day, full-day and evening trips.
- With literally dozens of courses across the region, Houston has gained attention as a golf destination. Not far from Downtown in any direction, you'll find beautifully-landscaped courses and great weather for this sport virtually year-round.
Urban Warzone Paintball, the only paintballing venue inside the 610 Loop, is easily accessible from anywhere in Houston. Whether you...
Wake Nation is Houston's only full-scale cable wakeboarding park and one of only 10 such parks in the country. Wake Nation, along with...
Galveston Island State Park features two thousand acres of surf, beach, dunes, coastal prairie, fresh-water ponds, wetlands, and bay...
Annual Sporting Events
- AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl - Houston's big college football matchup pits a Big 10 and Big 12 team against one another around New Year's.
- Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo - For three weeks every March, Houston hosts the world's biggest rodeo with bull riding, calf roping and other events, plus blockbuster musical artists.
- Houston Marathon - This annual 26.2, 13.1 and 3.1 mile run happens each January and draws more than 20,000 entrants from around the world.
- PGA Shell Houston Open - Played at Redstone Golf Club's Tournament Course, 156 of the world's best golfers compete each spring in pursuit of the $5 million-plus purse.
- AdvoCare Texas Kickoff - See a team from the Big 12 and the SEC face off in this new tradition to start the college football season.
Have a Beer, Watch the Game
There are plenty of places to kick back and watch the game around town. Here are just a few:
Restaurateur Gary Mosley has a fourth Austin-inspired cafe concept to add to his laid-back business line-up, this time on the west end...
Our neighbor to the north has a special home in H-Town at the Maple Leaf Pub. Owned by a hockey-loving husband-and-wife team, the...
It may offer a lively party scene, but Christian's Tailgate is all business when it comes to burgers. In fact, Playboy even named the...
The smallest of the Little Woodrow's clan makes up for its size with a giant wooden patio. This relaxed beer garden boasts the same...
By AJ Mistretta